Wednesday 15 August 2012

Interview with AL Jackson

Today we're talking with author AL Jackson about two of her novels: PULLED and TAKE THIS REGRET.

Welcome to We Do Write! Tell us a bit about yourself.

Hi everyone! I'm A. L. Jackson, author of Pulled and Take This Regret. I live in Southern Arizona with my amazing husband and three kids. I'm also the co-owner of a small publishing house, Sapphire Star Publishing.

How long have you been writing?

I really found a love for writing when I was in college. I was a young mother, and I spent a lot of time between classes jotting my thoughts in the journals I carried. I wrote a lot about love and life and the difficulties I faced.  At that time, my writing looked a whole lot more like poetry than stories. As life went on and I got married, had a full-time job, and added two more children to my family, writing became something that I just didn't do anymore.  But I missed it.  About five years ago I had a story that had been rolling around in my head, and I finally sat down and began putting it to paper. It later became my first published novel, PULLED.

Tell us about PULLED. I love the cover. What's the story about?

PULLED is a contemporary romance that has a bit of a supernatural twist. I've always believed in fate, and I wanted to explore the idea of an unseen "hand" leading us where we were supposed to be. 

Melanie and Daniel shared a love most only dream of, a love they believed bonded them together for life.  When their world is shattered by an unexpected tradegy, overwhelming grief and misguided guilt distorts the truth, and their relationship ends in uncertainty and unanswered questions. 

For nine years, they drift through life, each unable to forget the one who holds the strings to their heart.  In an attempt to escape the pain of her past, Melanie finds herself trapped in a loveless marriage, while Daniel loses himself in a career that means nothing without Melanie by his side.  

Now, when their lives again intersect, neither can deny the connection they felt so long ago.  

But will the power that drew them together be enough to heal the wounds from their past, and will they have the courage to overcome the insecurities and fears that threaten to keep them apart? 

Pulled is a story of attraction and separation, of destiny and duty, of a love so strong it refuses to give up even when all others have. 

How did the idea of the story come to you?

The ending scene of PULLED just came to me one day.  I could clearly see the happily ever after and had a vague image of the characters and their circumstances.  For several weeks that scene was there and ideas kept coming on how their lives had led up to that moment.  It was when everything clicked into place that I finally sat down and began writing again. 

What is TAKE THIS REGRET about, and what inspired you for this story?

TAKE THIS REGRET is more of a mainstream contemporary romance, although in all of my books, my characters have a "higher connection". 

There are some mistakes we make that we will regret for the rest of our lives.  For Christian, it was the day he betrayed Elizabeth. 

Christian Davison has a plan for his life.  He is determined to become an attorney and to one day take his place as partner in his father’s law firm.  Nothing will stand in his way, not even Elizabeth Ayers and their unborn child.

After Christian cuts her from his life, Elizabeth spends the next five years struggling to provide for her daughter and willing to sacrifice anything to give her child a safe, comfortable life.  

For five years, Christian has regretted the day he walked away from his family and will do anything to win them back just as Elizabeth will do anything to protect her daughter from the certain heartache she believes Christian will bring upon them.

When Christian wrestles his way into their lives, Elizabeth is faced with asking herself if it is possible to forgive someone when they’ve committed the unforgiveable and if it is possible to find a love after it has been buried in years of hate.  Or are there some wounds that go so deep they can never heal?

They say everyone deserves a second chance.

Are you a planner or a pantser?

I'm definitely a planner.  I write out an entire outline for my books before I start, chapter by chapter.  I do leave myself open to changes as I get to know my characters better and different ideas come to mind, but I usually know exactly where my story begins and where it ends. 

What’s the hardest part of writing for you?

I'm a slow writer, so I often will get frustrated when I've written an entire day and have only put down 500 or 1000 words.  In the end, I find it's worth it because I don't have to typically do as much editing since so much time and thought has already been devoted to each section.  

What do you absolutely have to have nearby when writing?

A notebook and pen.  I tend to scribble my thoughts down and then switch to typing .  I'll often have half-written sentences in my notepad that help to get my ideas flowing, and then I can begin typing again. 

If you could have any super power, what would it be?

I think I'd like to fly.  Practical and I'm scared of planes ;) 

What's the weirdest thing you've googled?

Haha...I'm not going to answer that ;) 

Quick writing test! Use the following words in a sentence: razor blades, daisies, and intervals.

The smell of daisies seeped into her senses, the candle flickering as water lapped at her skin as she dragged the razor blade up her legs at precise intervals. 

LOL, so all I got was bath or suicide...had to go with bath. 

LOL, good choice. Here’s the part where you thank the people who are supporting you. Let's hear your shout outs.

First off I have to thank all of my family at Sapphire Star Publishing. My author family is just amazing and my office is filled with some of my most favorite people in the world. It's truly a blessing.  I also want to say thank you to the incredibly supportive book bloggers and book lovers who have reviewed my books. 

And finally, where can people find you online?


I just want to say thank you to Dorothy for asking me to share with you all!

You're welcome! Good luck with your books!

2 comments:

Carrie Butler said...

What a fantastic interview! It was great getting to know you a little better, A.L.! :)

Dorothy Dreyer said...

Thanks for stopping by, Carrie!